Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Odds and Ends 3/2/2011

Singson resigns from Congress

...He said he was quitting “not because I am succumbing to the pressure of the noisy few among my honorable colleagues; rather, my resignation is a fulfillment of my promise to my father who had all the right to make the first and loudest protest because it was his name and honor that was mercilessly dragged into the tempest of my own undoing.”

He thanked his colleagues “who kept their peace” while he was being tried in Hong Kong. He also expressed his gratitude to other people who gave him moral support.

"In like vein, I would also like to thank the noisy minority who demanded my ouster even before my plea of guilt and the final verdict. Let me thank them as the Lord Jesus preached, ‘If they throw you stones, throw them bread’,” he said.

Man, I think there will be a whole lotta bread coming, probably much more than the "noisy minority" can eat.
/
House suspends RH bill sessions

MANILA, Philippines - The much-awaited plenary debates on the controversial Reproductive
Health (RH) Bill were called off yesterday after the centralized air conditioning units of the plenary hall of the House of Representatives broke down.

...Gonzales said the session was canceled upon the approval of Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. and also after consulting House Minority Leader and Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman, the main
author of the RH bill.

Lagman, for his part, described the suspension as a “fortuitous delay” for the RH bill that is strongly opposed by the Catholic Church and pro-life groups.

Fortuitous delay? I'd call it divine intervention, hehe.
/
550 Filipinos Out of Libya...

The Filipinos travelled in a convoy of 55 vans and buses headed by Secretary del Rosario towards the Tunisian border. Another set of vehicles will take them from there to Djerba, the first Tunisian city after the border.

Secretary Del Rosario and Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Esteban Conejos also visited the Philippine School in Tripoli, which has served as a relocation site for 87 Filipinos awaiting transit out of Libya.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs Office of Migrant Workers Affairs DFA-OUMWA) said that 72 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) arrived Sunday evening from Cairo on board Etihad Air.

Now that is what I call public service.. and LEADERSHIP. God bless you Mr. Secretary.
/

No comments: