Sunday, March 16, 2008

GO JANINA !

Ok, everyone should have known the story by now.

The media, youtube and the blogosphere had a field day.

On youtube alone, there are over a hundred clips and millions of combined views.

Here’s one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwmseoKFCo

“…My family is the most important persons in my life...”

Frankly, I find it all very funny and entertaining. I was alternately smiling and laughing out loud the first time I saw that video clip.

But look again: TV patrol interviews her afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgE8ckEwSXo

“…Inspirasyon ko po talaga ang pamilya ko...”

Now, some of my sober thoughts:

- Her father is a jeepney driver. She’s a college student at U.E. Think of her family’s challenging economic conditions. Think of her family rooting for her. Try to picture her as your sister or daughter. Then think of motivation, importance, and inspiration.

- What really is the criteria? I personally do not know, and even how the pageant judges saw it. But I think: beauty - inside and out - is in the eye of the beholder.

- Courage involves overcoming fear, and sometimes courage recklessly sets aside weaknesses. But then think again: motivation, importance, and inspiration.

- All of us had embarassing moments at one time or another. All of us had some defining moments likewise. Think about whether these two are the same or not.

- Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Mat 7:1)

- I love underdogs.

All in all, I still think it was all very funny and entertaining, but still I say: GO JANINA!

No comments: