Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Miss California fumbles?

Hilton, Miss California take sides on `Today'
Tue Apr 21, 8:30 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments, even if they may have cost her the Miss USA crown.

Carrie Prejean defended her views Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show, telling host Matt Lauer that she spoke from the heart during Sunday's pageant when she said that "marriage should be between a man and a woman."

The beauty queen's response to a question from openly gay pageant judge and celebrity blogger Perez Hilton has received more attention than the winner, Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton. During the pageant, Hilton asked Prejean if every state should follow Vermont in legalizing same sex marriage.

"I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other," Prejean responded. "But in my country, and in my family, I think that I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Hilton, who also appeared on the "Today" show Tuesday, said his question was relevant and that Prejean should have "left her politics and her religion out because Miss USA represents all Americans."

Prejean, who was named first runner-up at the pageant, told Lauer that she knew "at that moment after I'd answered the question, I knew that I was not going to win because of my answer." Still, she stands by her statements.

"I don't take back what I said," she told Lauer, adding that she "had spoken from my heart, from my beliefs and for my God."

"It's not about being politically correct," she said. "For me, it's about being biblically correct."

She answers: "...marriage should be between a man and a woman.", and it elicits angry (to put it mildly) comments from the pageant judge (Perez Hilton later calls her "a dumb bit#$" in his blog), and generates a whole lot of fuss. How dare she speak the truth.

I suppose she should have answered: "Duh...duh...thank you." and she just might have won.

2 comments:

Manny said...

When a nutcase like Perez Hilton insults people, it's "alright". When a beautiful young woman speaks the truth she is robbed of an award she rightly deserves.

Why does anyone listen to Hilton anyway?

WillyJ said...

California, which Miss Carrie Prejean represents, voted 52.1 for Proposition 8 - a simple fact that was lost on Mr. (Ms?) Perez HilNUT. Perez does not realize he also insulted the majority of Californians. Why does anyone listen to Hilton? My guess is that it's like looking at an accident - too grisly to look at but grabs your attention anyway.