Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Lord Reigns

34th and Last Sunday in Ordinary Time


The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King


'Jesus said to his disciples:

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory,

and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne,

and all the nations will be assembled before him.

And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me,

ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’...

(Mt 25:31-46)


Through the encyclical Quas Primas, The Feast of Christ the King was established by Pope Pius XI in 1925 as an antidote to secularism, a way of life which leaves God out of man's thinking and living and organizes his life as if God did not exist. The feast is intended to proclaim Christ's royalty over individuals, families, society, governments, and nations. In 1969, Pope Paul VI gave it a new title – the "Solemnity of Christ the King of the Universe" – emphasizing the encompassing power and love

of God.


God is the beginning. Today’s Gospel also reminds us that our Lord

Jesus Christ the King is the end, and that when we see Jesus Christ in each other, we begin to see the real meaning of how our Lord Jesus Christ reigns.











/

No comments: